The modern conventional submarine
The nuclear submarine
The U-505, launched the 24th May 1941, served in the German Kriegsmarine until her capture the 4th June 1944 by the United States Task Force
22.3. The submarine was towed, secretly, towards Bermuda and the captured crew remained totally incommunicated from the outer world to preserve
the secrecy of the capture. The victories acknowledged to the U-505 during wartime comprised eight ships sunk for a total of 45000 gross register
tonnes. In 1954, the U-505 was donated to the Science and Industry Museum of Chicago, where she remains as the only surviving submarine of the
Displacement: 1120 tonnes while surfaced, 1232 tonnes while submerged.
Length: 76.8 meters in external hull, 58.7 meters in pressure hull.
Beam : 6.8 meters in external hull, 4.4 meters in pressure hull.
Draft: 4.7 meters.
Propulsion plant: two 9-cylinder supercharged Diesel engines M9V 40/46 of 2000 shaft horsepower each and two double-acting
electric motors of 500 shaft horsepower each.
Speed: 18.2 knots while surfaced, 7.3 knots while submerged.
Range: 46080 kilometers at 10 knots while surfaced, 217 kilometers at 4 knots while submerged.
Test depth: 230 meters.
Complement: 48-56 including officers.
Armament: six 550-millimeter torpedo tubes (four at prow and two astern) with 22 torpedoes carried and one 105-millimeter 45-caliber cannon.
Crewmen room at prow with torpedo launchers and entrance to water closet.
Non-commissioned officers room.
Different views of the kitchen including its hatch.
Different views of the officers room and commander's cabin.
Different views of the radio and listening room.
Different views of the command room in the central part, including the main hatch with its ladder.
Different views of the central control room: hydrofoils angle indicator, hydrofoils controls, main compensation pump
and main pumps controls.
Chart table with sextant and rulers.
In the engine room: main Diesel engine MAN, main pump Junkers and pumps compartment.
Electric controls and command telegraph.
Crewmen room astern with torpedo launcher and auxiliary rudder, and entrance to water closet.
Two views of the double hull (pressure hull and external hull).